For the month of August please join the Dixon Vixens in supporting the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
What Is Cystic Fibrosis? It is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States (70,000 worldwide). A defective gene and its protein product cause the body to produce unusually thick, sticky mucus that not only clogs the lungs and leads to life-threatening lung infections, but also obstructs the pancreas and stops natural enzymes from helping the body break down and absorb food.
This foundation is very important to Vixen Sarah…
“Those of you who know me well have heard me talk about a fundraiser that I am very involved with that raises money for The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. 21 years ago my best friend (then and now) had twins, one of whom was born with CF. The fall after she was born we held a walk-a-thon and raised a few hundred dollars. A year later we did the walk and held a lawn sale that raised $1200 and we knew we were on to something. Over the last 20 years this event has grown beyond any of our imaginations and in that time we have raised over a MILLION dollars to send to the foundation. I am incredibly proud of this event and feel very blessed to have been a part of it from the very beginning.”
That fundraiser is known today as The Three Day Stampede and although it takes place in July, the Cystic Fibrosis foundation can use your support year round.
How You Can Get Involved…
- Make a Donation – Money buys science and science buys life
- Lend Your Time and Talents and Volunteer – Match your skills and interests
- Get Your Company Involved – How businesses bring us closer to a cure
- Participate in a Special Event – Put the “fun” back in fund-raising
- Shop the Marketplace – Your purchases support the mission of the Foundation
- Participate in a Clinical Trial – Help scientists discover new treatments and cures
- Improve Your Care – Learn about what you can do to improve your care center
- Raise Awareness – Advocate for CF by contacting your elected officials
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Is… Building on Success
When the Foundation was established in 1955, children with CF rarely lived long enough to attend elementary school. Due in large part to the Foundation’s aggressive investments in innovative research and comprehensive care, many people with the disease can now expect to live into their 30s, 40s and beyond.
Please help the Dixon’s Vixens support and promote awareness of Cystic Fibrosis by tweeting, tumbling, and face-booking this message and links to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation for the month of August.